We're hiring experienced account executives.
How mobile devices can help small businesses succeed in 2021
In honor of Small Business Week, UScellular offers tech tips for small business
Despite the many difficulties and struggles they faced in 2020, small businesses have plenty to look forward to this year. The U.S. Census Bureau of the Department of Commerce reported that total e-commerce sales for 2020 were an estimated $791.7 billion, a 32.4% increase from 2019. Total retail sales also were up 3.4% during the COVID-19 pandemic year compared to 2019.1
While not all small business achieved the same positive sales increase, the good news is that as more Americans are vaccinated, retail sales are expected to continue to grow between 6.5% and 8.2% to more than $4.33 trillion.2 Small businesses continue to look for ways to capitalize on this expected economic bounce back, and for many this includes incorporating mobile technology to help their business.
“Small businesses create new jobs, lead the way in technology and product innovation and often reflect the diversity of our communities,” said Nathan Waddell, UScellular’s director of sales for East Tennessee. “We support small businesses this week and every week, and by offering a suite of productivity solutions, our goal is to help local entrepreneurs enhance their business operations in 2021.”
Regardless of their type of business or industry, entrepreneurs and small business owners have a few things in common – they’re risk-takers, tenacious, motivated, creative – and they use wireless technology to conduct business. In honor of Small Business Week (May 2 – May 8), UScellular recommends these apps and tips to help small businesses succeed in 2021:
- Contactless Payments: The Square payment app features one of the most powerful mobile payment apps on the market. Pairing the Square app with a mobile card reader can convert your smartphone or tablet into a fully functional digital cash register.
- Data Protection Services: Lookout Mobile Security offers protection from malware and phishing attempts, identity theft protection and identity monitoring. For a limited time, UScellular’s Business Unlimited Data Price Plans include free Lookout Premium Plus for 12 months.
- Accounting Apps: FreshBooks features unlimited invoicing, as well as expense tracking and time tracking. QuickBooks Online is a comprehensive app with an easy learning curve.
- Create a mobile-friendly website: According to a Google study, 76% of people who use their smartphones to search for something nearby visit a business within a day. Ensure that your store’s website is mobile-friendly and has all of the relevant information people want to know. Make sure your store hours are updated and accurate as well.
- Connect with other local shops: Consider cross-promoting special events and offerings where each small business will benefit from the other’s promotions. Since shoppers likely have smartphones in hand, be sure to highlight any promotional offerings in a number of ways to increase visibility. Email blasts, social media posts, flash sales and group texts can all be communicated instantly with mobile devices.
For more information about UScellular’s productivity solutions for small businesses, go to https://www.uscellular.com/business-solutions or visit your local small business tech expert.
UScellular is the fourth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier is building a stronger network with the latest 5G technology and plays a critical role in helping businesses of all sizes navigate the wireless ecosystem, delivering advanced technology, increased network security and reliability. To learn more about UScellular’s business solutions, visit one of its retail stores or uscellular.com/business.