We're hiring experienced account executives.
GAMING ON THE GO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 2, 2014
For more information, contact:
Public Relations Counsel
Media Relations, U.S. Cellular
Celebrate National Video Game Day on September 12
Gamers no longer need to head to an arcade or plant themselves in front of their big screen to enjoy their favorite games, but instead can play anytime, anywhere on their mobile devices. In a recent study, U.S. Cellular found that 52 percent of smartphone owners played video games on their device in the past month for entertainment purposes, illustrating just how popular gaming on the go has become.
With mobile gamers playing an average of two game titles in the past week, according to Mintel Reports, this National Video Game Day, everyone can celebrate by downloading a new game on their device, like a Samsung Galaxy S 5 or an iPad Air. Anything is possible in the palm of your hand – family game night, a challenging mind game or a competitive race.
In honor of National Video Game Day on September 12, U.S. Cellular suggests the following apps and accessories designed to keep any gamer entertained, no matter where they are:
• Heads Up! – Heads Up!, available on Android and Apple for 99 cents, is putting a new spin on family game night by allowing families to play a game of charades via their smartphones. Users place the smartphone on their foreheads, and teams give hints to guess what word appears on the screen. The app has a built in timer, keeps score and even videotapes, as friends hilariously give clues.
• 2048 – Available on any Android or Apple device, 2048 is a one-player puzzle game where players swipe tiles of the same number together to form a larger number (such as 2+2 =4) until they get a tile to reach 2048.
• Stampede Run – This free app available on Android or Apple gives users the opportunity to challenge a friend to a bull run through Spain. Simply download the app, sign up through Facebook or create a username, challenge friends and start running through the streets of Spain and collect points for jumping on bulls, knocking over hay bales and collecting stars. See who can get the highest score or play on your own.
• QuizUp – This free app available on Android and Apple lets users test their knowledge against players from all over the world easily over the 4GLTE network. There are a variety of topics and categories designed to challenge even the most skilled trivia buff.
• MOGA controller – For the big gamers, U.S. Cellular sells the perfect accessory – the MOGA controller. This control allows your smartphone to be clipped into a controller for play on the go. MOGA allows gamers to play their favorite games such as FIFA, Need for Speed and more, no matter where they are, and also keeps the phone charged so users don’t run out of battery life while playing.
Avid gamers who are also U.S. Cellular customers can check out the Android Gaming app on their Android device to browse, purchase and download games in every genre in the Gameloft Store. This enables gamers to get games optimized for their device’s screen size and resolution, starting at just $4.99 per game.
“Whether you are challenging yourself or playing with family or friends, the games available on today’s mobile devices can be a great source of entertainment,” said Jack Brundige, director of sales for U.S. Cellular in Tennessee. “Consider them another way to help create better moments while spending time together.”
Anyone interested in downloading these apps or looking for accessories to enhance their gaming time can stop by an area store to talk with an associate or attend a free Device Workshop. The next device workshop in Tennessee will be Thursday, Sept. 25 from 6-8 p.m. at 8404 Kingston Pike.
¹ Between Nov. 15 and Dec. 2, 2013, 500 nationally representative online interviews were conducted among smartphone users in partnership with Maritz Research.
Additional data charges may apply. 4G LTE service provided through King Street Wireless, a partner of U.S. Cellular. LTE is a trademark of ETSI.
About U.S. Cellular
U.S. Cellular rewards its customers with unmatched benefits and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier has a strong line-up of cutting-edge devices that are all backed by its high-speed network that has the highest call quality of any national carrier. Currently, nearly 90 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds, and more than 93 percent will have access by the end of 2014. U.S. Cellular was named a J.D. Power and Associates Customer Champion in 2014 for the third time in four years. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp.