We're hiring experienced account executives.
CELEBRATE NATIONAL PET WEEK WITH PURR-FECT APPS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 30, 2014
Keep track of your pets and entertain them on your smartphone or tablet
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (April 30, 2014) – Your smartphone or tablet can track your pet, find other animal lovers and promote responsible pet ownership. National Pet Week, May 5-11, is the perfect time to download some new apps and learn about all you can do from the palm of your hand.
With access to 4G LTE speeds, wireless devices enhance the relationship between pets and their owners and enable us to experience and share better moments with our pets. Approximately 164 million Americans share their homes with a pet and, according to the Pew Internet Project, more than half of American adults have a smartphone. During National Pet Week, users can celebrate by using their smartphone or tablet, such as the Apple® iPhone 5s or iPad Air, to enrich their pet ownership experience.
“It makes perfect sense to use our smartphones to simplify pet ownership,” said Jack Brundige, director of sales for U.S. Cellular in Tennessee. “Whether you’re tracking your pet’s health, scheduling play dates for your dog or entertaining your cat, your smartphone or tablet can help.”
To enjoy your own celebration of National Pet Week, try these apps on your wireless devices:
- The Pet Planner app available in Google Play allows you to manage your pet’s schedule, shopping lists and medical history. Users can add multiple pets and set reminders for grooming appointments, flea/tick treatment and medication. This app gathers everything you need to remember about Fido and Fluffy in one easy-to-check information center.
- The DoggyDatez app is a social platform that helps dog owners and their dogs make friends. Users can “mark their territory” and see who else visits their favorite pet-friendly location to meet up and play. You can also search for other DoggyDatez users by owner information, dog gender, dog age or breeds.
- Pet Rescue Saga, created by the developers of Candy Crush, lets users build their puzzle skills and save the animals. By matching two or more blocks of the same color, users advance through the levels and keep the cartoon pets safe. With hundreds of levels, Pet Rescue Saga is the purr-fect game for pet owners everywhere.
- For creative cats, the Paint for Cats iPad app features a mouse for pets to chase on the screen. Each time your cat swipes a paw across the area, it creates a colorful print or streak. In the end, users have unique paintings created by their pets.
- Many animal shelters and rescues also offer apps, like HumaneTV from the Humane Society of the United States, that allow users to stay up-to-date on events and videos offered by animal welfare organizations. The Knoxville animal shelter, Young-Williams Animal Center, also has a website and social media profiles where users can browse adoptable pets, RSVP to local events, sign up to volunteer and donate to current needs locally.
“Even though 43 percent of smartphone owners would rather live without pets than without their smartphone, according to a recent survey conducted by U.S. Cellular ¹, pet owners don’t have to choose! They can use their smartphones and tablets with apps like these to thoroughly enjoy their pet ownership experience,” Brundige said. “On the 4G LTE network, these apps can be downloaded quickly to help pet owners celebrate their pets and National Pet Week.”
¹ Between Nov. 15 and Dec. 2, 2013, 500 nationally representative online interviews were conducted among smartphone users in partnership with Maritz Research.
4G LTE service provided through King Street Wireless, a partner of U.S. Cellular. LTE is a trademark of ETSI.
About U.S. Cellular
U.S. Cellular rewards its customers with unmatched benefits and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier has a strong line-up of cutting-edge devices that are all backed by its high-speed network that has the highest call quality of any national carrier. Currently, nearly 90 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds. U.S. Cellular was named a J.D. Power and Associates Customer Champion in 2014 for the third time in four years. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp.